STUDENT RESEARCH PLACEMENTS
Students wishing to conduct their industrial, PTY or professional training overseas placement can apply for a student research placement. This placement is specifically for people looking to do their own independent research as part of a degree. LWT can assist with shaping a research topic, providing access to locations and logistical support, but the research itself needs to be self-directed and you will need to secure your own supervisor. We would encourage you to get in touch and have a chat with our team to explore research ideas as a first step.
If you’re looking for more hands-on support and supervision with a research project, you might want to consider an ‘Internship‘ placement with us instead.
Various sites, depending on time of year and needs of specific projects
BSc, MSc, MRes or DVM students
Your time with us will be directed by your research needs. Below are a few examples of research projects students have done with us in the past:
- Assessment of the release of rehabilitated vervet monkeys (Chlorocebus pygerythrus rufoviridus) in Kasungu National Park.
- Stress and parasitism in translocated vervet monkeys (Chlorocebus pygerythrus) in Malawi.
- Factors influencing presence of blue monkeys (Cercopithecus mitis) in naturally fragmented Afromontane forest patches of Nyika National Park.
- Pre-release enrichment strategies to stimulate natural behaviour in common duiker and common genets.
- Surveillance for African Swine Fever vectors in pig kholas around Kuti Wildlife Reserve.
|No. of months||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||8||9||10||11||12|
Accommodation and vegetarian meals as well as unlimited water, tea and coffee are all included in this price. As are airport transfers from Lilongwe provided your arrival is on a Tuesday. All work-related transport, an orientation on the charity and our sanctuary and a supply tour of Lilongwe, as well as a local sim card and T-shirt are also included.
All other expenses will be your responsibility. This includes: flights, visas, vaccinations, a TB scan, and any excursions, souvenirs, nights outs, snacks and other personal expenses you might have.
Please also note students who work on non-LWT projects must self-fund costs that fall out of our existing operations (fuel, equipment, etc).